Wednesday, August 18, 2004

The Beginning of my Running Saga

I've decided to follow in the running shoes of Deene and start my own running blog.
I think it will be motivating to see my progress as well as reaching personal goals.

Over the summer I did a lot of thinking.
Thinking about 10Ks, Half-Marathons, and even Marathons.
I found myself realizing that I hardly have anything to challenge myself for besides college. I needed something to focus on other than personal troubles, worries about my future, etc.
I needed something that I could look forward to doing everyday.
Something that would make me push my limits.
Something that I didn't think I could ever be capable of accomplishing.
In high school, that something for me was running.

I wasn't on the cross-country team nor was I a member of the track team.
I began running to remedy a weight issue I thought I had.
I started with a 10.5 minute mile and at my best I thought I was flying at a 6.5 minute-mile.
It was great!
What was even better was the feeling of racing up and down the rocky, mountainous terrain of Kayenta--Mars-like country, and not feeling fatigued BUT invigorated.
Sure, my thighs burned as I chugged up hills, my calve muscles felt sure to rip in half, and the oxygen-debt was hard to handle at some moments.
Physical pain was bliss. It was my reminder of what I had achieved up to that point and what I could ultimately be capable of.

I'm going to take it slow now and train to run 10K distances before I move onto training for a half-marathon. I've signed up for a subscription to Runner's World and have also bought a book on women's running. Hopefully they will prove to be handy instruments in my quest for challenge and fulfillment.

Tonight:
Being that I drove 5 hours from the Navajo rez to Tempe, AZ--I'm beat.
I binged on some delectable menudo and a green corn tamale for dinner. It was so filling that even after 4 hours later--I was still lying around my apartment with a full stomach.
Eventually, I forced myself to run 2.6 miles after a week-long hiatus from a regular schedule of running 3.5 miles a day.
It's a start.
And this time I am more serious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home