Saturday, June 03, 2006

This is the start of something new.

Not too long ago, I stopped posting to this site because it seemed like a lot more hassle to have to log into and out of this site and then log in to my regular blog and log out. yadda. yadda. yadda.

Yeah, I'm a lazy hag like that.

However, now I realize that I do need to open this site back up. Why? I will be starting to train for my first marathon real soon. I plan on running the PF Chang's Full Marathon (gulp! 26.2 miles seems sooo....sooo...sooooooo long!) this coming January. The marathon is set for January 14 or so and I turn 25 years old, a quarter century, a few days before the marathon. I figure that running and finishing the marathon will be my birthday present to myself. How much more awesome could that be?

With this great undertaking, I realize that I will need all the inspiration and advice I can gather. I've read quite a few of the running blogs linked from Bella's site and they are quite a tight-knit bunch. That type of commradery makes running that much more enjoyable, I think. So that's the reason for putting "Run Carm Run" back up. :)

I finished the PF Chang's 1/2 Marathon earlier this year and let me tell you--it was quite the thrill. I felt so invincible and so alive after that! I couldn't believe the things that my body was capable of doing...and then came the slump. I just couldn't seem to find the time to go out for a run.

Classes and studying stole much of my time and it seemed like I was getting sick in different forms month after month. First, I had a kidney infection. Then a number of colds. Then pink eye. I thought that something or someone was working against me--that idea came from my cultural background. It's something that a Navajo would think of right off the bat.

I was doing a great job of getting back into running this past May and then time seem to disappear once again because of college graduation festivities and the reception planning. Sheesh!

So now that that is all over.
Here I am. This is where I am now.

The plan is to give myself two weeks to work myself back into a steady 3-3.5 miles every other day with either rest, a walk, or light crosstraining in between.

After two weeks, I will be seeking help from a personal trainer on campus to help me with strength training and toning. On the side, I have this bet/challenge against a friend that will last approximately two months. We are going to see who can lose the most body fat over the course of the summer. We haven't exactly worked out the rewarding details but we loosely decided that the loser would buy the winner a 50$ + dinner at his or her restaurant of choice. hehe Kind seems contradictory but do you know how much Alaskan King Crab Legs I could get for that amount of bones!!

I am ready to win!

So anyhow, this is my journey.

In seven months, I should have a new milestone in my life if all goes according to plan. I will be a marathon finisher!

PS:
I am still fiddling around with the site design so bear with me. I will have it looking spiffy in no time!


By the way, I look forward to making new friends along this wonderful journey who love running as much or more than I do. :)

3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

Carmen, I'm so glad to hear from you and lthat you're back into running. Way to go on PF Chang's! I didn't run it this year due to injury but I am totally up for 2007. You will change your life as you go through marathon training.

Congratulations on your graduation and I'm so glad to hear that Tyrone and Maude are doing well. Is Maude a medium/long hair like her mom? Yes, I still have her mom. She is my baby and her name is Mitzi. She is the best!

Take care,

Ann

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Deene said...

glad to hear that you are back in the game. i'm sure you will have no troubles at all kicking 26.2 as you are a determined chick. just remember it's about 65% mental.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger carmen said...

Ann-- Yes, Maude looks exactly like her mom only she has different coloring. She even has those tuffs of hair that stick out from under the pads of her paws like her mom. hehe Her nickname is Madge.

I'm glad that their mom is doing well. I'm really glad that we were able to get in touch...I couldn't imagine my life without these two rascals. :)

deene: thanks for the last bit of advice! I'll be sure to remember that. I had read in Runner's World (July) of a certain runner's mantra. It was "First with the head, then with the heart." I really liked that too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home