Tuesday, September 13, 2005

day 1- 1/2 marathon training

Over the weekend I made a declaration that I would run in this coming PF Chang's Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon. The thing is held in January so it's a relatively short time that I have to train for the thing--roughly 3.5 months.

I figure that I could be running 5 miles by my 3rd or 4th week and then from there I would gradually increase the milage until I hit 13 and some miles. I was supposed to start training on Monday but I had a discussion to prepare for on Tuesday for one of my classes so I had to scratch that. I did, however, start this evening.

I haven't been able to run 3 miles straight for some time now. Maybe like half a year or something like that to be exact. But I did that tonight--and more! I just kept pushing and pushing and before I knew it I had run 3.3 miles. Not too shabby for a gal who could barely eek out 2.3 miles straight about a month ago. I was really excited when I got home and tracked the distance I ran, online.

I felt so incredibly good. It was a great feeling to know that I actually had that in me. The odd thing was that I had enough stamina to run at least another 0.5 miles or so but I deemed it wise if I didn't try so hard on my first night out.

The only disappointment I did have was in finding out that my 5k time had increased substantially. A whopping 4 minutes longer!! I'm going to have to work on that. A friend of mine let me know about a 5k this weekend so I'm strongly considering running it and getting back into the swing of things.

Anyhow--that was day 1 of training.
Not too shabby, Chief, not too shabby!

2 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm kind of embrassed. I had thought about running the same 1/2 marathon, but thought I was too late to start training. Jealous of your ambition! Good luck to you!

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave! I'm so excited but a little scared that I won't complete it. :( We shall see!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home