Tuesday, October 24, 2006

almost 10 miles.

In total, I did approximately 9.8 miles yesterday. I did my 2 miles at lunch which was my first lunchtime run ever. It actually gave me a good feeling knowing that I was out gettin my exercise while most other tribal employees were stuffing their faces.

Right after work, I changed into my running clothes in my office. I'm glad that I received a long sleeved wicking shirt at the race over the weekend because it's getting nippy here. I anticipated that it would be chilly so I wore my new race shirt for the long run. It's big on me (I should have asked for a Medium) so I had to make sloppy alterations of stuffing the loose parts of the sleeve into my running bra straps. How is that for ingenuity? haha

I was doing well until I got to mile 3-4 where I came across an intersection. At one corner, there is a house and those people don't chain up their dogs. I began to hear barking over my music and so I looked around and started walking. I repeatedly had to loudly SHHHH the dogs to keep them at bay but one of them got brave. I stopped dead in my tracks and he slowly inched towards me. Finally, I resorted to picking up a rock and throwing it in his direction. Only then did he turn around. DUMB DOG!

I'm going to make a complaint to Animal Control about their unchained dogs. They need a warning at least because there are kids that sometimes walk alongside that house by the road. They could get hurt.

That incident played with me mentally as I've had bad experiences with loose dogs so the last couple miles were a struggle. They were also taxing physically.

I was only supposed to go 7 miles but I went for almost 8. I don't have a Garmin so I go by time. I figure I'm doing 11 min miles so I keep track of miles that way.

I can totally feel the toll of the run today. My heels are sore from all the pounding. My quads feel like I've done a thousand lunges. However, I'm taking this as a sign of getting stronger. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

6 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

Wow...congrats on the 10 miler. FYI, your heel shouldn't be sore from running. Not good to land on the heel...I developed plantar fasciitis from landing on the heel too much but I'm over it.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger carmen said...

Thanks Rico! Also, thanks for telling me about plantar faciitis. I had heard of the name but never knew it dealt with heel pain.

I'll be more conscious of how my feet strike the ground and I'm going to start doing strengthening exercises.

How did you correct your problem?

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love dogs, but not loose ones.. scare the crap out of me. Glad you are reporting them - one chased me as a kid and a warning might prevent another kids from having that fear. :)

Good job on running at lunch!!

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Awesome job!! You are doing great!!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Carmen ... nice job getting in 10 miles. This is your longest run in a while. Good work.

Your heel shouldn't be hurting you. As "Uncle Rico" suggested, it could be the start of plantar fasciitis or it could just mean that you pounded the crap out of your foot. How are your shoes holding up? Are they getting a bit old? The pain could be caused by lack of cushioning. Regardless, be sure to ice and don't push it if the pain continues.

I'll do a little more reading on the subject tonight.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Deene said...

i agree with the others that your heels shouldn't be hurting from a long run. maybe's it's caused by a bad shoe fit despite age, or your running form.
for more economical and just as comfy shoes you might also consider Crocs http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home