Tuesday, October 17, 2006

a storm that nearly threw me off

I did it. But it was hard.

Everytime I plan to leave the office right at 5 pm, I never leave until 30 min or 45 min afterwards. I wonder, if ever, when will I be on time? Indians always have this joke about being on "Indian time" when one is chronically late. I think it's lame actually. It used to get me irritated when I was apart of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society in college and the meetings would never start on time because the e-board members would jokingly claim, "Indian time!"

About the run, I was going to run this giant 8 mile loop but upon parking my car up the hill at a local motel I practically tore my car interior apart looking for my fuel belt. (I later found it on the bed in my apartment! hrumph!) So I had to improvise and run a 4 mile loop nearby the St. Micheals School and Mission. It was quite serene because it has this countryside landscape.

I used to run this loop two two years ago when I was a fish and wildlife intern. Then I was barely getting back into running and the hills used to kill me! I was ecstatic when I could run up them with little difficulty! :) Great job legs!

Afterwards, I ran a mile uphill back to my car. Trouble started a-brewin' in my stomach and it wasn't pleasant at all. I swear I was going to have a huge accident in my "intimates". I can't even remember what I had to eat the other day but it was starting up something fierce in my stomach.

Blah, so then I had to drive all the way down to the grocery store to use the public bathroom. After the storm was quelled in my gullet, I went back to my car to drink some Gatorade and take another GU gel. They have this new flavor, Lemon Lime, and it's gross! It took guts for me to swallow it.

It was already getting pretty dark so I drove to the shoddy gym and hoped that no one was running on the one working treadmill. As I walked up the steps to the cardio room, I could hear a familiar whooring of the belt and I prepped myself for disappointment. Luckily, the gal was using the loud treadmill and not my favorite one.

I hopped on and ran my heart out until I reached 3 miles.

So there you have it...8 miles.
Even if I had to take a large break in between at 5 miles, I still ran. But I am freaking about the possibility of my stomach acting up during the marathon. I don't think I can hold my "storm" for very long. Arghh....

How do you guys deal with this?

7 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Blogger Anonymous Fat Girl said...

I dunno...I took one bathroom break during my marathon and liked it. It wasn a chance to sit down for a second!

(Oh, and this is Amanda, another Phoenix runner, formerly of the "that's my roommate" fame. I've moved my blog. It's awesome to hear how good your running is going!!)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Renee said...

At least there was a public bathroom!

I generally don't have intestinal issues, but I try to lay low on fiber and fat the day before a long run or race.
That Gu sounds nasty.

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Thank goodness I figured out how to prevent those issues..especially on the long runs.

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos for going back out there to finish!! A lot of people would not. I would have to think hard -- I mean, if I could stop somewhere along the road, that is one thing - but to make a point to go to a gym and finish - hats off to you! And awesome job on the hills!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Deene said...

good job on going back after your break - something to be said about commitment. i usually don't have intestinal issues during long runs - i usually try to fuel up the day before and run on empty with just enough to keep me going.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

Good job on the run! You're racking up mileage and you should be ready for the marathon.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha. We Greeks ay we run on Greek Time - I'm suppose to get off at 3:30 or 7 depending on the days, but I tell everyone I get off at 4 or 7:30 because I NEVER leave on time. I HATE paperwork.
Way to get the miles in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home