Friday, October 27, 2006

running through the barrio

Since I've been here working for the tribe and having moved to a new area knowing only a small number of people--I complained and lamented in the fact that I was lonely. Gallup, NM is not exactly the easiest place to go out and find new friends who are not into the bar scene/party scene.

So you would think that after many a solitary evening spent, I would rejoice at having been invited to dinner and a movie with some young attorneys and my good friend, S. Instead, what did I do?

I ran.

I wanted to hang out badly but in the deepest part of my heart, I wanted to run more. I took two days off for recovery and because things are getting hectic for me at work. I was about to take a third day off because I had a big headache after work and I had some lower abdominal pain going on. Plus, it rained the previous night and it was very chilly. I decided that I would spend the evening with some new friends.

That is...until I spent a couple minutes outside cleaning out my car and taking things back and forth from the car to the apartment or garbage. I had gotten used to the cold and pretty soon, it felt like the chill invigorated me. I began jogging back and forth from the car.

Though it was getting dark, I knew I could put in two miles--one at the least. I hurried inside and put on my running gear and headed out the door. Last night was the very first night I ran the neighborhoods of Gallup. Usually, I run the trails.

It felt like old times--like I was running an evening in Tempe along my old route in the residential area. I felt so good. I paid attention to my form and noticed that I was landing more on my heal than the forefoot. My shoes are so comfortable that it seemed like natural tendency to do so. Afterwards, I altered my form and began landing on my forefoot--and the calves were feeling it.

Also, living in Tempe and Phoenix I've grown accustomed to passing people on the street without recieving a warm hello or acknowledgement. So I was quite surprised (!!) when two people I passed on the street gave me a hearty hello. I was really taken aback! haha

Anyhow, I ran 2 miles tempo and I felt like I could take on the world.

Boy, I love those types of runs.

7 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger ! said...

oh..how nice..I can just picture it..awh..the peacefulness is awesome :) Great job on the run..:)hey i think we're going to have a cook in Hunterpoint this weekend at mom's....kinda sort of maybe and early birthday thing..I would love it if you came. :) stick around for a game of Pictionary???...

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Carmen ... why are you trying to land on your forefoot? That might make sense if you were sprinting down the run, but trying to run in this configuration is going to put a lot of stress on your calf muscles. Here are a couple of articles on the subject:

First Article

others (didn't read yet

gotta run, more later

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds nice!

I agree with Phil. The heal strike is an important part of running form.. just where you strike the heal determins if you pronate, suponate (sp??) etc.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger carmen said...

Hmmm...I guess there is a fine line with everything. I'm so confused with my form that now I'm not sure what to do because what comes naturally hurts my heel. :(

All I know is that I have some weak calves.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Nice job on the run. BTW, what's COLD in your area? It's NOTHING compared to here. LOL!

 
At 5:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the runs. And hang in there - new places are always hard. Heck, I've been in chicago for 3.5 years and still don't really feel like it is home but it does get better.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

good for you-keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home