Monday, June 26, 2006

tapering for the 5k

So I wasn't able to do the 6-miles that I had hoped to do last night. Instead, I followed Phil's lead and decided to taper (a small one) for this upcoming 5k that I'm doing on Saturday. Plus, I didn't get out onto the road until 9:20 pm so Hubster had to follow me on his bike. I knew I could have put in another good half mile but I already felt so guilty that I stole Hubster's time away from his computer projects so I threw in the towel.

I'm thinking of checking out the proposed 5k trail path on Tuesday or Wednesday and get a feel for the course. I haven't been doing much in terms of hill running so I'll probably get my butt kicked!

The Workout
Mileage: 4.1 miles

mile 1: 10:16
mile 2: 9:41
w/b, drink, stretch: 1:30
mile 3: 9:18
mile 4: 10:20

total: 42:36 min

Mile 3 surprised me because I had taken off my earphones to listen to myself breathe for a while. I didn't expect myself to run so fast and it didn't feel like I was pushing it. So, yes, that was a surprise!

This coming week, my goal is to warm up at a 10:30-10:45 pace for the first mile and run additional miles at 10:00-10:05. I'm going to make my body adapt to keeping a constant pace and to reduce petering out near the finish.

In other news...this is my final week of Animal Behavior and then I am finished! For the first summer session, at least. I'm overriding into my final class of my undergraduate career--General Genetics for the last summer session. I hate that class with a passion!! The material is alright but the instructor is something else. He's one tough cookie, I tell ya!

I should know...I failed the class two times!

However, I heard the summer course is far easier because we don't have assigned homework and he has this option on the final where whatever you get on the final you get in the course.

I wish I had passed the class the first time around, or the second but hey that's life! I've done well is all of my other classes but I dont' know what it is about this course! Ugh...I just never did get cell biology. :(

4 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger psbowe said...

Good luck with the 5K and the upcoming class.

Running w/out music does wonders sometimes, enjoy your mini taper. :)

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the 5K and the class

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger SRR said...

But way to push yourself with running that late. Speaking of which I really need to go to bed myself!

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Carmin ... you asked me about running hills in the Valley of the Sun. Unfortunately, I think that you'll need to drive a bit to find a decent hill. Here are a few suggestions.

My first 3 suggestions are all in Piestewa Peak Park. There are several good hills in the park. (see map).

1) Trail 100 from Tatum heading west. The parking lot is south of Shea (about a mile). The trail is a bit rocky in places, but a decent climb.

2) Trail 302 from the main parking lot at the Squaw Peak Drive entrace. This trail goes around Piestewa Peak. It is not as rocky as 100 (I haven't been on it for 5 years so I could be wrong). It has rolling hills all along it's length. Run it counter-clockwise and skip the steep ascent on the west side where the trail climbs to join up with the summit trail. Just turn around and run clockwise around Piestewa Peak.

3) Bike Path on the far west side of the park. Exit 51 at Northern and turn right into the Dreamy Draw area of the park. The road winds a bit north to the parking lot. The bike path is on the hill above the picnic tables. This isn't obvious from the parking lot. Run north on the bike path, up the hill. It isn't all that steep, but it is several miles long and will give you eneough heart pounding action to last an entire weekend. The bike path is paved.

4) South Mountain park. The road to the summit from the Central Entrance is a killer. This might be too steep. If you do it very early in the morning, you can avoid the traffic.

5) Loop 101 Access Road between 7th St and Cave Creek. Again, only do this in the morning before traffic builds up. You can run it a clockwise. Each loop is about two miles. You'll love the 1 mile climb heading east. Followed by a 1/4 mile down hill to Cave Creek. Go under the 101 and run back up the access road heading west; followed by a long down hill back to 7th st. You can use the QT station on 7th St south of the 101 as a parking lot.

I'll give you a few more when I think of them. Gotta run.

Phil

 

Post a Comment

<< Home