Sunday, June 18, 2006

6.0 miles in eerie suburbia

I actually woke up early this morning at 4:45 am although I did snooze for a bit after the alarm clock went off at 4:35 am. hehe It took me quite a while to get everything together like filling my bottles for my waist pack, finding my shoes, finding my watch, and eating to fuel up.

Fuel for the morning was: 1-1/2 large bananas and whole grain toast with peanut butter smeared on top. also had 8 oz of Gatorade.


The Workout
Mileage: 6.0 miles

I ran around the residential area across from my apartment complex. I mapped out a route last night on Google Pedometer and wrote down my mile markers on a piece of paper in case I forgot where to mark my mileage time.

I think I ran decently considering that I felt sluggish throughout the whole route. This was my first morning of real running outdoors...definitely a lot harder than running on a treadmill! What I liked about the morning was that there were hardly any souls out--kind of like an eerie suburbia. I snapped back into reality everytime I heard dogs bark from their backyards.

I did feel pain near my inner ankle on my right leg after passing 4 miles. I think I definitely am overpronating on that particular side. Thank goodness for the 100 bucks that my 2nd grade teacher sent to me as a college graduation gift. I'm going to use it to buy new shoes in the next couple of days. She's primarily responsible for my involvement in running. An inspiration, I may add.

As a kid, I used to help her clean up her house and help with gardening duties around her house and she would pay me. In essence, it really was my first paying gig. Sometimes, she would invite me to come out with her on her 5-6 mile run by letting me ride her bike alongside of her. Not only was she one of the few people I saw exercising regularly but she was also very environmentally consciencious. Always a recycle, reduce, and reuse sort of person. Since I was small, I've always wanted to be like her. She was a really good role model.

Now look at me.
Running and training for a marathon.
AND a college graduate with a Biology degree that will enable me to combat environmental problems on my reservation.

I couldn't have done all this if it weren't for her as inspiration.

Anyhow, before I leave you with my times I have to say that I'm so excited to have gotten back in contact with her. She now lives in California and suggested that one of these days, we would run a race together. I'm super excited! :)


mile 1: 10:48
mile 2: 10:04
mile 3: 10:12
mile 4: 11:10 (walking break = 1 min)
mile 5: 12:26 (walking break = 2:05) STRETCH
mile 6: 14:09 (walking break = 3:10) STRETCH

P.S. What was the difference between split time and lap time?

3 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Carmen,

Congratulations on your run this morning. It was blazing hot this morning. I know the heat really kicked me in the butt today, forcing me to slowdown. I think that you're mile times are awesome. Be sure to take an easy day tomorrow to recover a bit. Although it was hot, running a treadmill is no substitute for running outside. You need to develop all the muscles needed to run a race. You can’t do that running on a moving belt
Glad to hear that you are back in contact with your former teacher. I'm sure she is very proud of you, considering everything that you’ve managed to accomplish. This may be a friendship that you'll cherish for a lifetime.

To your question on lap time vs split time. Usually (and not always) split time is used to mark cumulative time since the start of the race at specific points in the race. For example, your upcoming splits in the R&R marathon this January may be:

Split
10K 0:56:18
1/2 Marathon 1:59:20
20 mile 3:02:51
Finish 3:58:21


Lap time on the other hand is the time required to run a fixed distance on a single run. For your distance run, you recorded your times for each each individual mile. If you were running 800m repeats, you'd pay attention to how long it took you to run each 800m "lap".

Hope this helps.

Phil

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger SRR said...

Nice run, especially considering the heat, girl!

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger carmen said...

Phil, Thanks so much for the extra advice and the info. It's reasons like this that I am glad I am apart of the running blog world because I don't exactly get this type of info from articles I read...unless I'm not paying attention. ha!

The heat wasn't as brutal as I predicted it to be that day but it still kicked me near the end! However, I ran a lot better than the first time I ran out in the sun. Awesome!

Also, thanks for the clarification on the split and lap timing. I always get those two confused!

Happy belated father's day as well!

RR--thanks! I did it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home