Thursday, August 31, 2006

Puff, Puff *gasping for air!*

Wow, these posts just get more and more sporatic! I am too afraid to post from work because once I get started, I just go on and on. The girl who I am staying with in town doesn't have internet connection either so I have to head to a local coffee house to do my blogging and emailing business. Very inconvenient but I notice that I'm slowly weening off my internet dependence! ha

I'm finding it difficult to get in 3 consecutive miles during each of my outings. I feel pathetic but really I know it's because of the elevation difference. I just feel so sluggish when I get past a mile. All the trails I have ran this week all have hills so that doesn't make things easy for a girl who feels like she's starting all over again.

I know that soon I'll come to appreciate all the hills but for now...for now... I guess I'm okay with it. hehe I wish I had a digital camera to show all the pictures with you. Be patient, my dearies, they will come next month when I have the funds to get a new camera.

I have a friend here who I met when I was interning for the tribal fish and wildlife dept 2 years ago. Her name is Sonja. She is the one who gave me the heads up on some of the local running trails in town. She's trying to get back into running as well but she's coming off a hip injury of some sort.

This evening was her first day out on the trails. She brought along her Jack Russell named Chip and walked with him while I took off an tried to run 3 miles. I'm encouraging her to train for the PF Chang's 1/2 marathon because I think she still has sufficient time to do it. She seems up for the idea. She also wants to do the 5k portion of the Duke City runs in Albuquerque. Needless to say, I believe she is my running buddy. She's a pretty fast runner too so she'll be a great pacer once she gets back into the swing of things. KUDOS!

Yesterday, I only ran for 20 minutes on a well-used public trail behind the UNM-Gallup campus. This trail has hills too! Hills, hills, everywhere! And great elevation too! What more could a runner ask for?

On Sunday, I ran 30 minutes at the Ridge in Kayenta. I kicked ass on that one hill that used to be so menacing to me in high school. I was quite surprised! I remember back then, I used to run that loop with my best friend and she used to find it hard to run up it without stopping so I told her to come up with a mantra to repeat as she climbed. Being that she was a scrawny, boney chick with no musculature whatsoever (haha), she told me she used to say "Beautiful legs, beautiful legs..." over and over to get up and over. lol Soon afterwards, I adopted her mantra. hehe

Work is going great.
I'm learning more and more new things everyday about recycling. In a month, I am headed to Las Cruces, NM for a Grant Writing 101 workshop so I can finally learn how to write grant proposals. I have great ideas and projects in mind for my department's recycling component. Who knows...maybe one day we'll finally have our own Recycling Center!

5 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger Dubs said...

Sounds like you are really getting to enjoy being back out there & your new job - that is fantastic!

The running will come - then when you go back to the valley for races, you will wiz through them since it is so flat!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Deene said...

cool mantra, i should try that instead of, "i think i can". new job sounds great, we'll be looking for recycling stations on our next road trip to the rez.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Hang in there. It will come along.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Carmen ... running in hills at altitude takes a bit of getting use to, but you're strong ... so you only need to be patient and it will come. Congrats on your new job. Sounds like you are settling in well.

Keep running and keep blogging as much as your dial-up connection will allow. I always appreciate your comments.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

How did the 10K go on Sunday?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home