Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I'm Turning Batty

The Workout
Mileage: 4.5 miles (approximately, might be higher)
Type: Started as tempo but ended as intervals

I getting goddamn sick of the treadmill now. Today I had a hard time focusing on my stride and the fact that the complex fitness room was full did not make matters any better. When I first started running, I was the only one in there and it was all good. Then my mood went from happy and free-spirited to annoyed when people trickled in.

I guess I just dig my runs because they're moments of solitude. I can think and concentrate on whatever it is that I think about. But add people and then I start getting distracted i.e. wondering what they are thinking about, how their days went, where they shop at, what type of groceries they put in their cart, relationship status, etc.

My mind starts getting erratic and I feel like Woody Allen's character in Annie Hall. (We just checked out the movie from Blockbuster this evening.)

Ugh.
I couldn't even decide on the type of workout I wanted to do. Therefore, we had a mix of tempo and intervals going on.

I'm really anxious to get back to my outdoor runs because I want to see how fast I am running. I can't really get shit down on the treadmill. And while I do like looking at my quads contract and relax as I walk around the fitness room with it's wall to wall mirrors, I don't like looking at myself when I'm running. I've never been a fan of mirrors. I just don't like looking at my reflection.

So now you can get a sense of the delusional side of me.

I felt like I had to run 6 miles or so because the other day I baked two dozen Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies and I must have eaten half of them all by myself! I just can't help myself when it comes to this recipe. It's the devil!! After I'd gobble a number down, I'd feel like I want to throw it all up not only because I feel guilty but because I feel like the sugar is hardening at the bottom of my stomach and just sitting there, doing nothing.

The only good thing that came out of today was that I finally got the car out of the car repair shop so no more chumping it on the bus.

I'm starting to get nervous about my first day at the new job. It's less than a week away now. The anxiety may have fed into my uncontrollable cookie grubbing earlier today. I was a straight up cookie monster. That reminds me of this internet fad song my fiance' is always singing. It's called The Cookie Monster song. It goes something like:
C is for Cookie.
That's good enough for me.
Cookie, cookie, cookie...
Cookie starts with C.


Gotta adore my better half. I love him.

Oh yeah, the reason for renting Annie Hall this evening was because I came up with this idea of wanting to watch The American Film Institute's 100 greatest movies of all time. I went to the website and noticed that they had a giant list of 400 movies. Included in the bunch were the Top 100 and 300 other nominated movies that didn't make the list.

I then found a random number generator site and picked out 10 random numbers between 1 and 400. I chose 8 movies just in case the local Blockbuster didnt' carry the ones on my list. So this evening, we rented Annie Hall and an old movie called "How Green Was My Valley".

I like Phil's idea of listing every day of the week's workout so I'll start doing that as well so I can keep better track of my numbers.

Tues. 4.5 miles
Mon. REST
Sun. 8.0 miles

6 Comments:

At 7:36 AM, Blogger Dubs said...

I used to sing that Cookie Monster song as a kid - loved Sesame Street! Big Bird & Snuffalufagus & Oscar were my favorites. hee hee! Now I'm going to be singing that song in my head all day.

I'm with you about the treadmills - I think the reason I enjoy running so much is I can get away and just have alone time -- the treadmill throws a wrench in that -- especially with others at the gym.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

Mmmm...Cooooookies! Totally agree with dreadmill running. I miss running outdoors but fall is just around the corner.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Deene said...

i very rarely run on a treadmill but i know what you mean. i tend to get competitive with others if they are situated closely in a cardio room.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Jank said...

We've got the Cookie song on LP (as in record, vinyl, analog...). Classic.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger ! said...

lol at the treadmill....haha yesterday during my run I was greeted by two dudes who run on the treads alongside me...and they were wearing some massive amounts of colonge. *Yuck!. I could taste it. I couldn't deal with it. I cut my run short and went home!. I agree with running outside, maybe when the evening are much cooler. Otherwise I could just ran away from them, instead I had to run home...hahaha.

Good job on the mileage for the week already..your moving right along..yay!1

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

No matter why you rent it, Annie Hall is just a great romantic comedy (in my opinion) .. sadly, it's also a reminder that Woody Allen has fallen very far

 

Post a Comment

<< Home