Sunday, August 20, 2006

back in full effect

The Workout
Mileage: 4.0 miles
Pace: 9:55 min/mile average
Type: Intervals

Dudes, I wish I could say that this was my first run on the rez because it was supposed to be. Alas, I am still here in stinky old Tempe. On Saturday when Hubster and I drove out to Anthem so I could buy some business casual attire from the GAP outlet. Right before our drive out, we had the oil checked on my car and the mechanics at Midas told us that our transmission fluid was leaking.

Could you imagine our grief and outrage especially after we just had repairs done on the transmission?? ARGH! And Hubster had even asked the repair guys at Good Works if there was anything else that needed work before they handed our car back to us and they said NO!

So I was presented with a dilemma because by the time we found out, it was too late to take it back to Good Works and I couldn't do much as almost all repair shops are closed on Sunday. On top of that, I couldn't contact my new boss and tell him the news so now...I'm making the dreaded call in to the office tomorrow morning at 8 am to tell him that I won't be in until Wednesday.

I was due to return to my home in Kayenta this afternoon and my ma and I were going to have a traditional prayer done by a medicine man so that I have a good first week at the new job. So I called her this morning and asked her to tell the medicine man to pray so that he could ask that my new boss be extremely understanding when I give him the news tomorrow. hehe

So those bastards at the repair shop better fix up my damn car tomorrow!!!

---
But about my run. Good lord, I haven't run since last Tuesday and have instead been eating cookies like a mad woman. My friend Kim called me and I told her about my cookie binging and she made me feel better by saying, "Dont' worry about it. I'm sure it was just all you dealing with stress." hehe

What she doesn't know is that Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies are like crack to me!

I'm sure the break was needed and it sure did serve a purpose because I feel like I'm a little faster now. I'm averaging 10:00 min/miles and if this is just training, imagine what I could do on a half-marathon! I could totally beat my old PR of 2:22:23 by a good 12 minutes!

I'm back, dudes! And I'm back with a vengence! Now I just need to get adjusted to the elevation once I get there to Window Rock and then it's all smooth sailing and a ton of hard work!! Maybe an occaisional cookie or two as well!
---

Sun. - 4.0 miles, 39:30

5 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

I am so sorry about the car. I hope things get fixed today.

Nice run!

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

way to go on your run!

Hey are the kitties relocating with you?

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger carmen said...

Thanks Firefly!

Ann--The kitties are staying here with Brandon until he can relocate up to WR with me, which won't be until November or December.

They're only car ride has been with you and I'm afraid of how they will freak out when we finally transport them. :(

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all cookie monsters at one time or another. Hope the car is alright and you get home soon.
Nice job on the run.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

If you can, get them plastic pet carriers that latch shut.

The first time I took Mitzi to the vet, I put her in that PetsMart cardboard container and she busted out while I was driving. She perched on the rear window area and howled and howled!

Maybe Brandon could take them for a test drive before you make the trek to WR, to see if they need kitty downers :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home