Saturday, September 16, 2006

Adjusting

Elevation.

It can be your best friend during training...and then again, it could feel like you're absolute worst nightmare. Since I've moved back to the rez, I feel like I've digressed to remedial runner.

I try not to let my lackluster runs get the best of me but it's hard when I used to do 3-4 mile runs with no problem. Now I'm lucky if I can even run just under 3 miles...and that's with lots of walking breaks to catch my breath!

I was really discouraged a couple weeks ago because I thought that I should have acclimated to the high elevation by now. It's taking me a lot longer than I thought. The actual difference in elevation didn't make sense to me until I put it into relative distance last week.

I'm running at an altitude that is a MILE higher than what I'm used to!

In Tempe, the elevation was about 1600 ft or so. In the high hills of Gallup, NM where I run the elevation is about 7000 ft! With a difference like that, no wonder why I'm still not where I should be after close to a month! I think another problem I have is that I want to run at the pace I am used to running in Tempe but I can't here without losing all my breath after only 4 minutes and feeling like my chest is tightening.

Maybe I'm pushing too hard too fast.

I've been thinking and thinking alot about whether I have adequate time to train for the marathon in January. I haven't stuck to my Higdon plan and I'm already behind. I have to scrap that plan and go with a 16-week one now. I have this idea that if I fall behind on this new plan, I'm not going to do the marathon during PF Chang's but will do the half-marathon instead. Maybe I'll shoot for the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon.

I'm not going to give in the towel yet though.

In the mean time, I'm still adjusting.

5 Comments:

At 11:37 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Carmen ... sorry to hear that you are still having problems. Training at 7000'is tough, but you will get acclimated (sp?). There's nothing wrong with banging out another 1/2 marathon in January ... but there is still a lot of time between then and now.

Phil

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger carmen said...

Thanks Phil. It's good to hear from you again. There is quite some time before now and January. I shall just keep chugging along.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Deene said...

don't worry so much about getting the distance until you get acclimated. just get out there every chance you get even if it's not speedy.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

Patience...don't force the issue.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Take your time. Slow is better especially in that elevation. You will REALLY speedy by the time of the marathon. You have plenty of time before the marathon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home