Friday, November 03, 2006

Slow Start but so worth the drag

I awoke early this morning to make up the 1.8 miles that I was not able to complete yesterday. The night before, I was overconfident in that I thought that I could possibly run 3 or 3.5 miles. I should know myself better than that.

3.5 miles at 6 o'clock in the morning? Who the hell am I kidding?

My alarm rang at 5:55am but I wasn't able to pull myself from my covers until 6:15am. I groggily walked to the window and looked out to see how light/dark it was out. Everything was well lit but the streets were still covered in shadows. I walked outside my door and stood for a minute to gauge the temperature.

Frankly, I was trying to reason that it was way too chilly to run a couple miles. Unfortunately, it was not cold enough to justify a missed workout.

So I walked back inside and changed into my running clothes. Laced up my smelly shoes. I noticed that my left ankle was still a little sore from the yesterday's run but I thought that a couple miles wouldn't compromise it's ability to perform. Yes...looking for more excuses. hehe

Finally I set out at 6:40 am without a sweater. About 0.3 miles into the run I regretted going out without a sweater but I didn't want to turn back around so I continued running. Conveniently, my route heads east first.

As I mentioned in previous entries, Navajo people have been instructed since forever that one greets the dawn by running in the eastern direction. The Holy People (our deities) are out and about at this time and those that can wake up early enough are the ones who receive their blessings. I felt really good running into all those "luxuries of life" this morning and before I knew it the grogginess and my near-frostbite wore off. (I'm exaggerating about the frost bite but I felt like my arms were going to shatter at the slightest tap.)

Sometimes, a Navajo individual can shout out into the dawn as they are running. The shouts are like a Woo WOO! type of sound. It lets the Holy People know that you are out and it identifies yourself. I forgot to do that this morning. Most people would feel silly but I've gotten used to it.

My younger brother (by Navajo clan kinship) is teaching me how to properly pray in Navajo to the gods early in the morning. Pretty soon, I'll be a pro and I can appropriately pray for the right things just prior to an early morning run. Sweet!

I happened to run 1.9 miles this morning--making up for the deficiency yesterday. I feel even better about the fact that I was out so early. :)

4 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Phil said...

I like your idea of running east first thing in the morning. Running into the rising sun does have a certainly spiritual element. Thank you for reminding me.

And congratulations for getting yourself out of bed. Keep in mind, you are not out there running alone. There are thousands of us out running with you at that time in the morning.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Deene said...

yay! you're becoming a real runner. I surprised myself the other day when I mentioned to someone that "I'm a runner". a profound moment for me.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Renee said...

Well done hauling yourself out of bed! I hear of people getting up at 3 or 4am to run and I struggle for a 6:15 wakeup.

Thanks for sharing the spiritual tradition of running toward the east.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Wow! How cold is cold for you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home