Thursday, June 15, 2006

Running in the heat. Crazy, man!

I don't know what I was thinking when I changed my blog layout on accident. So, bear with me and I will have everything back up as it was again. I dread having to redo all of my links though. *groan*

I did not run on Monday or Tuesday, unfortunately, but I suppose that is ample time for my muscles to recover after it's first long run in ages. And I wasn't feeling too great either.

Yesterday, I made up my mind to run in the sun. Yes, this blistering heat that we call weather here in Phoenix. It was probably close to 100 deg F by the time I skipped out my apartment at 9:30 am. I played smart in wearing my hydropack around my waist too so I wouldn't fatigue early.

The first mile was fine. I actually ran faster than I thought I would have. I was anticipating a mile time of 11 or 12 minutes but I clocked in at 10:15. I'm sure it was a little faster than that because at the beginning I had to walk because of unchained dogs running around in the front lawn of a house.

I then walked and stretched after the first mile for 2 minutes.

I only had enough strength and sense to muster another mile because by then the heat was getting to me. Thankfully there was a park near the end of my 2nd mile because I spent a lot of time cooling off under the trees. I didn't see any other runners out so I think I was the only crazy person out that day. hehe

To end, I walked a mile and a quarter back to my apartment. I'm sure that it was over a 100 deg after I was done. I don't know how I survived, man! Along the second mile I kept thinking about how the Pima Indians and their ancestors survived the brutal heat here in Phoenix valley during the summer time before the arrival of Euro-American settlers. Of course, the great Salt River was flowing unbounded so I'm sure it was bearable to live as Desert People. Now, it's not such a great river. I'm not sure if it even flows unless we've had great precipitation!

I prepping myself to get used to running in the heat since the 5k I am signed up for is coming up in a little over two weeks.

2 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Blogger Chelle said...

I need to find my Miles/Km converter... and then my C/F for the temperature too... still sounds like a good workout though!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Jack said...

"...the only crazy person out there...", hmm sounds familiar ;-)

I always think it's a good idea to prep in the heat for a race that will be in the heat. I usually go by the following rules when running in the heat:

- Drink a lot before, during, and after a run - then drink some more!
- Keep the pace down, if it feels to hard, it probably is. Save your speed training for cooler parts of the day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home