Saturday, September 30, 2006

a breakthrough

I quickly wanted to THANK YOU all who stopped by to leave an encouraging comment. You all made me feel better about where I am at this point in my running. In fact, it was the comments that helped me chug along and complete a 4.5 mile run yesterday evening.

I forced myself not to worry about my pace and thus, it was a very enjoyable run. I felt like I made some breakthroughs in my running. FINALLY! I'm not skimping on my distance anymore and it must be correct what most people say..."slow and steady does win the race."

I will come back to blog more about last night's run. Although it was pleasurable, I made the mistake of running too far out and so I returned back to my car when all was dark. I was so scared! I had a small container of pepper spray and I felt safer in having it but being Navajo and constantly hearing stories about skinwalkers as a kid...I wasn't sure that mace was enough to deter a skinwalker. Childish fright...but (haha) I still have fears about them as an adult.

Luckily, I said a small prayer before I started off on my run and asked the spirit of the surrounding plants to watch out over me and to keep me safe. In particular, I sought the protection of the sagebrush or ts'ah.

I had my cell phone with me and snapped a couple of pictures of what my trail looks like.


4 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Dubs said...

So beautiful!! I envy your trails! I am so glad to hear you are doing good! Just hear us all cheering "go Carmen!" when you get tired! Also, it is the slow long runs that build your base... so even if you aren't working on speed, you are making a big difference in your base.

Okay - the skinwalker.. that is SCARY! I would be freaked out as well. Be sure to get back early.. not because they are probably out there and going to get you -- but for your own sanity, as I would be a mess. Did you have a watch on? I bet your last distance was SUPER FAST!

Stay safe & keep running!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Keep it up. You will do great!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Great looking trails Carmen. No loose rocks! The things you worry about. I worry about stepping on snacks or rabid coyote's. You worry about Skinwalkers. You've got more courage than I.

Great job working through the miles.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

Wow...keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home