Sunday, September 17, 2006

My Mojo says HI

Today was supposed to be a long run but I ended opting out because it was getting dark and I have to get a powerpoint presentation finalized for tomorrow morning. I have an important meeting in Flagstaff tomorrow afternoon. Weren't it not for that, I would have completed at least 5 miles today.

I believe I covered 5k distance this evening.

I went down to my old high school track. It's not quite the same as the last time I really ran round it a couple years ago because of the cool new astroturf and the springy new track covering. (Obviously, I don't know the technical terms for both! ha) But everything looked and feeled the same.

Everytime I run the old track, I remember the time during my junior year when our school put everyone through a physical fitness test to comply with some state or national test. At the time, I was taking a chemistry class and we weren't given fair warning as to when our class had to go out to the track to run our mile. One day out of the blue, a messenger was sent to our class and we were told it was our turn to run along with a couple of other science classes.

Unfortunately, I went to school that day in a skirt and some flats. Remarkably, I was the second girl who finished and the 10th overall. I ran a mile that day in about 8:06 with the worst gear possible. haha

As for the evening, I feel a bit more confident in my running.
Yesterday I felt extremely distressed about my lack of progress. Today, I felt like I was getting my mojo back. I was able to run my first mile in 9:52 min. I think I ran my second mile at about 10:30-ish because I ran the other practice football field adjacent to the track once. I took a five minute breather because it was rightly deserved because it was the first time since I've been on the rez that I've run more than 20 minutes non-stop!

I ran my last 1.2 miles around the entire school campus in about 12:48 minutes. Slowly but surely, I am getting back to where I once was and it feels reassuring and wonderful!

And for a treat, I came home to a nice warm mug of Navajo tea...only the best tea in the whole wide world!!

Sun- 3.2 miles, avg pace=10.30ish

4 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Great run Carmin. I'm very happy to hear that your Mojo has returned. I'm also impressed that you ran an 8 minute mile in high school without proper shoes or warm up. So now we know that once you get use to running at 7,000' again that you'll be kicking some serious butt.

You sound much happier today.

BTW ... time to change your profile. It still has you listed as a " college bum" ... I think you're a bit beyond that.

Have a great time in Flagstaff.

Phil

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

Good run! Don't be discouraged about struggling with your pace. The key is getting the mileage in. Eventually your body will adjust to the elevation.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Hang in there. You will always have the ups and downs.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Dubs said...

Good job on the run - you legs and body will spring back into running mode - they know what to do. :) I was just in Phoenix and saw that my old high school gravel track (that was upgraded my senior year to clay - woo hoo - scarsm) is also rubberized. Man, these kids are spoiled! I feel so old with the gravel track... still something about the sound of spikes going into the gravel that will always be special.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home