Thursday, September 28, 2006

game on

I swear--I'm constantly switching sides on a see-saw where one side thinks I will be ready for the marathon and the other side doesn't think I will be so it suggests the half-marathon with a goal of blasting my time of 2:22:23.

The other evening, I thought I had made up my mind about not doing the marathon. But after I read about Bella's struggles of near abandonment of her first marathon (Portland) but her intent to keep on running and race this coming weekend, I regained my running spirit.

Yesterday, I signed up for a month membership to our local fitness center in Window Rock. It's not exactly 24 hour fitness caliber but it'll do. They only have three treadmills of which only one works properly. Thank goodness people are not frequenting the gym with vigor yet. I ran on that one good treadmill yesterday. 3 miles with one break.

Not too shabby given that I'm recovering from a cold.

I believe that I lost my will due to frustration. My main running trail is infused to heck with hills but it's the safest, most frequented trail that I have no choice but to use it due to safety issues. The evening prior to yesterday, I ran that trail and felt like such a loser because I couldn't run more than 5 minutes after my initial 10 minute run. I'm too hard on myself and I know that I can't help it because a) I was still a bit sick with a congested chest b) I was coming off a week long break from battling the cold c) I was not properly "carbed" up and d) the elevation was making me angry.

Therefore, I thought that maybe I'd feel better if I ran on a flat surface. Thank goodness for that one working treadmill. My form was more fluid and my stamina was right on. I'm glad I ran yesterday because now I feel like I CAN do the marathon.

I'm dreading the upcoming winter months though. I'm worried that we're going to have one heck of a winter given the unusually long and abundant monsoon season that hit us. It's times like these that I wish I had my own personal treadmill.

This evening, I'm trying for 4 miles on the treadmill. If I can eek out an additional mile, we're golden.

7 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can do it. Trust me - if I can do one anyone can because my motivation slacks all the time. Hang in there and good job on the run.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Way to get the miles in. You can do it!!

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Hi Carmen ... don't give up on your marathon, we all get this feeling .. it's natural. And it's tough going it alone. Since you've moved away from the Phoenix area, you haven't blogged as much as before and you don't seem to be as plugged into the running community as you were in Tempe. Running alone can be lonely and your objectives can appear to be unachievable. However, all you need to do is to get back with your program, joing a gym is certainly a great step, and work in a few tune up races over the next several months. This will give you a few interim goals to meet.

Most importantly, I'd suggest that you get back to blogging daily. We really want to know how you are progressing. We want to hear about the miles you're logging and the intervals you're running. We are all looking forward to the great race report after you complete the Phoenix R&R marathon. In other words, use us.

So let's get with the program, there is still plenty of time, and let us know how you're doing. Of course we also appreciate your comments on our little blogs.

You rock.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Dubs said...

Hang in there Carmen! You can do the marathon!! Just believe in yourself. Having a cold can throw you off and a few bad days of running seem to shake most peoples confidence (from reading blogs) but just know that you have it in you. If you don't get a PR, so what - even if you run slow, it is better than not running at all. Make up your mind to go for it and I bet your surprise yourself with how it turns out.

How are you doing out there? Anyone you can run with? Do you miss the valley? I know when I can't find anyone to run with and I'm a bit down or stressed about work or not knowing many people (when we move) I tap into my running as an escape. Not sure of your situation - but if you can get your running to be something you are doing for yourself or as an escape, seems to help with motivation (at least for me).

Hope your job is going well!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Deene said...

you can do it - it's in your blood, we're runners. now it's just a matter of focus and getting used to long distances. after a while five miles will begin to feel like a skip in the park.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

Hang in there Miss Carmen. The journey to a marathon is full of ups and downs. You are fit, healthy, and strong. Whether you do your 'thon in January or June, you will do it. And you will find that you have strength that you didn't know you had.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Renee said...

I just found your blog through Phil (the man who connects all running blogs, I'm convinced) and it sounds like you've got this marathon in you.
We all get discouraged and freaked out, but you can do this. Just relax and enjoy the gym. Or try to.
This is definitely one of the biggest challenges of being a woman runner, figuring out to run so that you're safe. And the gym really really helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home