Wednesday, November 08, 2006

i'm supposed to have weeks like this or life wouldn't be fun.

This is a week where running can take a number or choke.

I haven't been feeling it all week. I misplaced my headphones a week ago and finally went out to buy some a couple days ago. I have yet to try them out. You have to have some serious focus to run without music and the last couple runs I did before my big hiatus were done without music. I just ran out of things to think about.

I voted in my tribal elections yesterday. I didn't bother with Arizona or county elections because of my own personal political opinions which I will not bother to mention because this 10-minute blog will end up going the whole hour.

In short, the Navajo election affects me the most and therefore, was the most important to me. We had a race between the presidential incumbent, Joe Shirley Jr., and the woman who was trying to become the first elected female Navajo Nation President, Lynda Lovejoy. In the end, I voted for Joe Shirley.

There was a lot of controversy (aren't they all) surrounding this particular race because of traditionalists who say that the Navajo Nation should not have a female leader or chaos would ensue...the end of the world and culture kind of thing. It's amazing she even made it through the primaries. Sadly, this just goes to show how much of our tradition is being lost if people are willing to put a woman in office despite oral tradition and teachings.

Don't get me wrong, I think women are capable leaders. WE have very influential, smart, and ambitious women who work for our Tribe. However, when it comes to leading our great nation--it's a warrior's responsibility. A woman's responsibility should be to lead in the home. Afterall, it is her children that will become the future leaders of the nation. If she's a good leader in the home, then we will have great leaders of the future.

This is just how I view it from my cultural perspective.

And I'm sure that our male leaders who run into problems at the office end up venting to their mothers anyway and asking for advice. hehe


BTW, Joe Shirley won. (whew)

Oh yeah, the baby shower went great over the weekend. Here is a picture of baby Adezdiin (pronounced "Uh-dez-DEEN")--our shining light.

1 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger ! said...

Omg..she is absolutely adorable..:) Wow! very beautiful!....Please tell your sis. I say congrats :) I was keep up with the election through text..haha since I can't bring my work computer home and listent o KTNN. ;)...we'll just have to see what happens. I too actually agree with you on the women in the home thing...It sounds stupid and i guess some women will challenge it, but I just say "i'm old fashion!"..haha :)I hope you have a great weekend..any chance of being in Phx tomorrow around 8ish?..:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home