Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2006 in review

2006. I feel that there is a lot to be said about my running this past year. More importantly, there is a lot to be proud of and much had been learned.

Triumphs:
  • I ran my first half-marathon on Jan. 15 in Phoenix (PF Chang's Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon). I remember that my goal was to beat an old classmate's time of 2:17 but unfortunately, I was tanking near the end but still finished with a respectable 2:22:23.
  • 5k PR of 29:12 in July despite early morning sizzling Phoenix temperatures.
  • 10k PR of 1:00:08 in November at the New Times 10k in Tempe. The first time I noticed a difference in my running after training at high altitudes.
  • 1/2 marathon PR of 2:14:49 in December at the Fiesta 1/2 marathon in Scottsdale.
  • I ran my first 30k (18.6 miles) in December near the White Tank Mountains in Surprise, AZ. To date, it is officially the longest distance I have ever run at one time.
Follies:
  • After running my first 1/2 in January, I was constantly getting sick and had too much to do for school (my last semester of undergrad) that I didn't run consistently for almost 5 months! I finally started a training program again in June.
  • In August- September I was transitioning from Phoenix to the Navajo reservation for my first post-college job. It took nearly 5 weeks to fully adjust to an elevation change of +5,000 feet. I was not at all into running during this period.
  • After one of my 8 or 9 mile runs in November, my heels started hurting. I thought I was developing plantar fasciitis so I worked on correcting my form.
  • In what was supposed to be my 2nd to the last long run until my marathon debut, fate intervened in it's most cruelest ways during the last half mile of my 30k and I sustained an injury to my left foot which crushed any chances of running the marathon I was training for. I still don't know what exactly it is: a stress fracture (Jones fracture) or a case of plantar fasciitis. It feels like both.
  • Near the tail end of December, I finally admitted to myself that I could NOT run the PF Chang's marathon in Jan 2007. Turbulently angry emotions soon followed.
  • I ended the year doing absolutely no running on doctor's orders.
A couple things I've learned:
  • Tape both of my arches with wide bandages for runs more than 8 miles. The bloody things always start chafing.
  • The importance of constant hydration every mile and GU gels every 3 miles will stave off post-race headaches and lethargy.
  • Sip small amounts of fluids lest I want to pee in the bushes or on myself in a race with no restrooms.
  • Always carry extra safety pins.
  • Bullfrog Sunblock gels work wonders.
  • Little setbacks only encourage me to work harder.
  • I don't run for anyone else but myself and my health.
  • The endorphins usually don't kick in until after 2 miles. Be patient, lassie.
  • Bananas work wonders for running less than 5 miles.
  • My little Sony mp3 player kicks more ass than an iPod.
  • It's all about the high energy punk songs, 80's dance music, and Dean Martin.
  • I am awesome!
In early 2006, I finally declared myself a "runner" shortly after my 1st 1/2 marathon. It's not a term that I feel can be tossed around lightly. One must earn the title. One must put in the time and the effort. One has to feel the temporary pains and fatigue of long distance running and speed training.

To me, a runner is one who harbors a deep passion for what most people believe is ridiculously rudimentary: simply placing one's foot ahead of the other mile after mile. It's a passion that imbeds itself in a person even when one is put through the anguish of sidelining injuries, defeat, and performances that finish just short of a well-sought PR.

A runner is one who is never completely satisfied with a stellar race performance. After crossing the finish line, they are already thinking about how they can improve on their time, their form, or their pace. When they set a goal, there is no way that they let anything get in their way of achieving that goal.

Most people cannot fathom running for hours on a stretch of road in the sun. Some would rather watch paint peel than run for the same amount of time. Only runners can understand this delight.

It is something that I proudly tell people about myself when we are introduced for the first time.


As my running performances improved and I was running longer and faster, I became enthralled with visiting running stores. I found more delight in shopping for GU gels than regular food, running shoes instead of flip-flops, moisture-wicking running shirts instead of casual clothes. It's funny how I am now recognized as a regular by a couple of salespeople at Performance Footwear in Tempe. It's comforting in some way to have them ask me about how my training in going.

This year I also became a regular RBF member. I've met great friends through this running blog community that I never would have met through racing alone. All of your encouraging words and helpful advice help me more than you can ever know. Thank you friends.

Most of all, I love it when my friends ask me in surprise, "How is it that you can stand to run more than 6 miles?"

My answer is always the same, "Because I love it. It's who I am."


2006 was an incredible year for me. It will only get better in '07.

9 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Dubs said...

Great post - I absolutely love it! It has been great to watch your blog this year as well!

Happy 2007!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Dubs said...

hi - just saw your post on my blog. I wouldn't bother with downloading PM Dawn - it slowed down my pace - the others were good, especially the first 2 for getting a quick step. Happy 07!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Carmen,

Thank you for articulating so beautifully what makes us run. The only thing I could possible add to your list is: "You know you're a runner when the FIRST thing you pack for any trip is your running shoes; you just can't imagine going anywhere without them"

You've had a great year and have really improved. Running that 30K all by yourself took a ton of courage as did running your best 5K in the blazing heat of our Arizona summer. You really rock.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Renee said...

Awesome, Carmen! I can't believe all the progress you've made, especially with that elevation change. Come run at sea level and you would whoop even more ass than you do now!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Deene said...

you had a wonderful year transforming into a butt-kicking running chick! i'm look forward to seeing a post-marathon post soon.

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate signing in..it always takes to long...Great post..congrats on all your hard work :) Happy New year.... :)

Trish

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger J~Mom said...

Hey Carmen, I just found your blog. I am a fellow SunDevil. I just injured my foot as well. I hope yours is feeling better soon! I am off to the doc tomrrow!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Awesome post!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger SRR said...

Fabulous attitude! ***Rub off on me*** :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home