Friday, December 22, 2006

Protesting for the Holidays

If you haven't noticed already, I've finally admitted to myself that I'm not capable of running the PF Chang's marathon. It's less than a month away and I know that it will take that long at the least, to be able to run a couple miles comfortably.

I was really angry for the first couple of days after my injury. So angry that I wanted to punch something or demolish something. One of the hardest feelings for me to deal with is the one that arises when you've worked so hard for something only to not be able to do it. However, I'm over that storm.

I decided that it would be better for me to run the Valley of the Sun marathon in Mesa, AZ. It occurs on March 11, 2007. I knew that it was the better choice for me because after running the 30k in the almost isolated desert landscape, I found that I loved running there more than I did on city streets and people cheering. In a sense I realized that my runner's niche was running out in the open, encapsulated by nature, and relying on my own will to get me through instead of relying on the cheers of other people.

I'm happy to say that my foot feels a whole lot better. The arch and heel don't hurt as much. Pain is minimal. I would have to say that I feel the most pain along the grove near the back of my ankle. It still tightens but I'll be doing stretches to relieve it soon. The doc at the private clinic was much more helpful and I'm glad I saw her.

I will begin working out on some stationary bikes and the elliptical for the next two weeks and ease back into running on the third week with a mile being the most I'll run.
----

I'm not feeling very cheerful and full of glee this Holiday Season. I usually get all happy over making cookies for friends but not this year.

For the first part of this weekend, Hubster and I are traveling to Burnham, NM. It's located on the reservation. There is protest blockade standing there as we speak. The protestors are concerned Navajo citizens and elders who are taking a stand against Dine' Power Authority and Sithe Global Power, two energy companies that are going to build yet another power plant in the area.

Protestors are in dire need of more people support, money, supplies, firewood, and food. We're going out there to help with whatever we can and to add our support because we feel strongly about environmental injustices that occur on our homeland.

If you have the time, take a look at this video. It's about the blockade.
For more information on the situation you can visit: www.desert-rock-blog.com

6 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh noooooo, Carmen. I hope you can still help me out with the pre-race gathering, even if you can not run the marathon. :(

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news on your foot Carmen. I think you'll recover soon eneough and I certainly agree that the Valley of the Sun Marathon is a better choice. I'm not a huge fan of mega races and have run my best times in the smaller events. Good luck with your protest.

 
At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! I'm with Phil; I've run two mega-races and sort of, er, hated them. But the small (dare, I say) dinky races rock my world. We have a series that runs a half in every boro and these have between 1500 and 3000 people. I much prefer them to the 10,0000 people races.
Have a good protest!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

Carm,

Unformtunately, the Valley of the Sun is only a half marathon. They changed it last year. I ran it- it was the day after the storm that put snow on the Supersitions.

You might want to look at the Lost Dutchman on 2/18 instead!

Ann

PS. Mitzi says Merry Christmas meow!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

Ouch...sorry to hear that! I'm in the same boat, injured my ankle pretty bad and in rehab mode.

 
At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no!! I'm so sorry to hear that you are hurt!! I read the past few blogs you posted and saw you mentioned a twisted ankle as well as a metatarsal arch. Which one did the new doctor say?

As far as diet - up the water intake - it helps remove the bad stuff.

Lost Dutchman... I may have to do that some day (when I start doing marathons)! Now if we could only find the hidden treasure!!

Keep looking at your marathon options - you don't want to push yourself to do a marathon before you are ready and re-injure it and be out longer. 26.2 is a lot of stress - You could narrow down several options and not lock into any of them for a few weeks and see how you progress.

Good luck & hope you heal soon! I'll watch the clip when I'm off dial-up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home