Wednesday, December 20, 2006

update on the foot

Nothing was accomplished at the hospital the other evening. If any of you have any Indian friends then I'm sure you have heard them joke about the crappy care we receive at the IHS hospitals. IHS stands for Indian Health Service. In some cases, you're better off spending money elsewhere than to be waiting a whole day to be seen at the ER. There were some times that I went to receive care where I felt like the doctors were purposely misdiagnosing just so they wouldn't have to deal with more complicated treatment.

I remember one time, I mildly expressed that I may have been dealing with depression and I was immediately sent to the mental health clinic. The doctor there only asked me a few questions and in as little as 20 minutes I was sent out the door with a prescription for Paxil. I was freaking out. For heaven's sake, I could have been a prescription junkie!

Anyhow, notice in the previous entry how Deene told me not to go to the IHS. lol I knew better and went against her advice.

I did get a couple of x-rays done on my left foot. They did not show any breakage and the doc said that even if I had a stress fracture, it may have been too small to see on the x-ray. That doc was frustrating. He had very little knowledge of sports medicine and leaned toward a stress fracture but wasn't thoroughly convinced that it was. When I mentioned plantar faciitis (like you mentioned, Phil) he completely ruled it out even though part of my heel and the middle of my arch hurts when I walk on it.

Then he proceeded to talk to me like I was training completely blind without proper guidelines and information. That really pissed me off. I was ready to leave at that point.

I knew it was useless when even I had to remind him to remind me to ice my foot. He also told me no running for a week. I thought it should have been more than that...like 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe I'm just being a baby. I didn't even get any medicine, crutches, nothing!

So I made an appointment with a private clinic in St. Micheal's. I will be seeing another doctor tomorrow afternoon. We'll see what he/she says and what they give to me.

Other than that, I'm still bummed and mad. Why did this have to happen to me? The anger really hit me this morning. I keep trying to tell myself that I'll just have to wait and see if I will be healed in time for the Lost Dutchman Marathon in mid-February. The pain is gradually subsiding now. Even though, I'm smart enough to stay off of it and not run.

sigh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home