Sunday, January 07, 2007

my sights for 2007

It's been a while--again.

Hello running world. I miss you.

First of all, I wanted to cheer on all the runners who are counting down to PF Chang's Day next Sunday. I'm proud of your commitment, determination, and heart thus far. It's been a pleasure keeping up with you.

I'll be there next weekend in Tempe. I may be volunteering at the Scottsdale Running Company's tent. I still haven't gotten word back on it so it's still up in the air. I"ll keep you posted.

What has Carmen been up to?

Not much. After a short hiatus, I got myself back to the gym. On Friday evening, I put in 30 minutes (20 min elliptical, 10 min incline walking). Yesterday, after a full morning's worth of housecleaning I drove myhself to the gym to put in 55 minutes of hard cardio action. (25 elliptical, 15 reclining stationary bike, 6 minutes upright bike, and about 10 minutes of incline walking on the treadmill).

I don't think my gym offers personal training but there is this girl that I always see working out in the weightroom. I think she's about my age and I'm thinking of asking her to show me the ropes around the weight room. I've very intimidated but I know I need to get over my lame fear.

When I walk the treadmill, I can still feel an ever so slight dull pain in my left foot. After every workout, I ice my foot down and compress it with my arch bandage. If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction to some websites where I can learn about some foot stretches. :)

I've made a pact with myself that I would not try to start jogging until mid February or even the first week of March. If I do have the beginning of a stress fracture, I don't want it to get even worse. Better safe than sorry, I always say. I'd rather be out of commission for a few weeks rather than enduring months of regret.

I have two big races that I wanna run this year.
1) The Shiprock Half-Marathon (early May): this is on the reservation with spectacular scenery.
2) The Frank Maier Marathon in Juneau, Alaska (08/04): I shot the idea of running a marathon together as part of honeymoon to Hubster. He loved it and was so hyped up for it. I've never been to Alaska either so I'm super excited to be going. (BTW, we set our wedding date for July 28, 2007. You'll be reading quite a bit about the wedding preparation this year in my blog!)

3 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your foot pain! Good stretches are gastroc and soleus stretch (same as gastroc calf stretch but with your knee bent), to stretch your plantarfascia push your toes/ball of the foot into the wall.

But, you might want to rule out the stress fracture first. Does it hurt when weightbearing immediately? Does it get better or worse with continuous walking?
If it gets better the longer you walk it is probably plantarfasciitis but if it gets worse or stays the same you might have a stress fracture. Or maybe you just need orthotics to support your arches.

anyway, nice job on the workouts. And, congrats on the wedding date and what a great honeymoon.

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Dubs said...

First, I agree with Nicole - make sure you don't have a stress fracture (speaking from experience, as mine cracked in half and I will have a broken foot for the rest of my life).

Stretches...

Spelling out the alphabet with your toes pointed (lower case, then upper). Rolling a ball under your foot and then seeing if you can move it yourself. Put a towel on the ground with your foot bare.. then use your toes to scrunch the towel and pull it towards you - use a hand towel size. Then see if you can pull it from under your foot back out (this is a really good one - if you don't understand what I'm describing, let me know & I'll try again). Drop random objects on the floor and use your toes or feet to pick them up.

Be sure and do the exercises on BOTH feet so your strength ends up equal at the end.

Hope you feel better!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger carmen said...

Thank you both so much! There is no real doctor around my area that specializes in sports medicine. I'll have to start looking for an orthopedic doctor in Albuquerque to rule out the stress fracture.

I did the pointing toe stretches last night because I remember it was something Phil mentioned. I also tried the foot against the wall thing.

And thanks for reminding me about equality, Dusty. I would have forgotten!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home