Thursday, June 29, 2006

faster time for the treadmill, please hold the applause. hehe

Thanks to all who have wished me luck on the upcoming 5k. I'm looking forward to meeting Phil and Ann there in particular. :)

I didn't have a decent night's sleep so I felt a bit groggy all day long. I had to drag myself to the gym today to run my 5km tempo. The air conditioning didn't seem to be as cool today and during my warmup my arms became a little slick with sweat. Needless to say, I wasn't the least bit thrilled about running my little black heart out and sloshing sweat all over the place.

The Workout
Mileage: 3.1 miles (5k)
Type: Tempo
Avg Pace: 9:02 min/mile

There wasn't anything particularly special about this dreadmill run except for the fact that I lowered my overall time and my pace from the last time I did a tempo on the treadmill. One of these days I'll get around to doing my tempo at a local track or around my route but today was one of those days of time crunch.

Hip hip Hooray for a faster time (even though I took the cheap way out and did it on the 'mill)! I still feel good about the time improvement. Were I still a beer drinkin' gal, I would have gone out for a pale ale with Hubster. hehe

mile 1: 9:11
mile 2: 9:05
mile 3: 8:54
mile .1: 0:53

overall: 28:05 min

----

The last official day of Animal Behavior class is tomorrow. *does the Mr. Peanut jump and heel click* I'll be staying up late tonight to study for the final.

I also have another bit of good news. I am going to be working in my instructor's lab for the next month and a half. This project he has me working on will have me measuring the levels of carotenoids in the blood of some bird species (think it was a quail). In most birds, the level of carotenoids (which are responsible for the yellow-orangey hues of veggies) a bird consumes can be expressed in the color brightness of certain body parts like their face or crest for example. More carotenoids means a brighter color.

However, I think he said that this bird is unlike other birds in that they are usually just a drab brown color so I have to go in and measure the levels. There's more to this project but I was just way excited that I may have not paid close attention as I should have.

Yay! Real lab work!

4 Comments:

At 11:03 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Awesome run...BTW, which marathon are running in January? Are you planning on doing P.F. Chang's? I plan to be there in Januaray with TNT.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger ! said...

Hey Carm..Have a great run...and a safe trip home to Kayenta. Happy Fourth of July week'd. :)

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Hey Carmen ... you stilll need to keep your legs moving on the 'mill. Looks like you're ready for Saturday.

Good luck

Phil

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger SRR said...

Awesome job! Good luck...you will be fabulous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home