Thursday, July 13, 2006

Be vigilant Phoenicians!

Yesterday evening, Hubster and I went out to dinner. We were headed for one of our usual Mexican cuisine joints when I decided at the last minute that I was craving pizza instead. There was a new restaurant next door so we headed over there.

The indoor decor was very cozy but the service was terrible! We waited almost 25 minutes for our appetizer to come out and when it did, so did the rest of our order. The waitress hardly came around to check on our drinks and our status. I was very perturbed and Hubster was ready to walk out when the damn appetizer came out.

Anyhow, when we first came in we choose a table in the northeast corner of the establishment. Hubster was creeped out by a framed drawing near our table of a pair of owls, which in Navajo culture as well as some other Indian tribes are messengers of bad news. To make it worse, we were facing the north direction which is also considered a bad direction for traditional Navajos. So we moved to another table which was located right near an elevated TV.

Access Hollywood was on for a bit before a local AZ newscaster came on to report on live coverage of a Phoenix community meeting with the Phoenix Police Dept. They were meeting to discuss a crime spree of sexual assaults, rapes, burglaries, murders, and serial shootings that have plagued the area.

Hubster has always worried about me when I have decided to run at night. Lately, he has been riding his bike and following me on my routes. Most times, I sighed at having to bring along my cell phone because it irritated me and my form. (I know, it's dangerous!) So he made me watch and listen to what the police dept was telling the public.

I was freaked out that some of the shooting incidents were almost nearby my route and took place right around the time I run. In addition, I had been thinking about jogging at Kiwanis Park in the evening and the serial rapist has been hitting areas along Baseline Rd. (Kiwanis is on Baseline).

Before then, I had this innocent and naive outlook on the world and scoffed at the chances that something could happen to me. Afterall, who would mess with a woman who is 5'10" and could put up a fight? ? I forget that people don't fight fair and use weapons to subdue their victims.

So now, I'm going to curb the night runs as much as I can and exercise utmost caution to protect myself.

Sometimes I forget how scary the world is. Please be careful when you are out running...because you just never know.

Maybe it was a good thing the framed owl picture shooed us away from our initial table because I would have never come across the news.

For more info on the crime spree in Phoenix, go to the Silent Witness website.

5 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Carmen -

I do not see any problems with running at night as long as you take necessary procautions like bright clothing, reflective vest, partner up with someone, and take a portable can of mace with you. It's okay to have some fear because that's what keeps us out of danger, but don't let it take control of you. If you have any questions about what else you can to protect yourself, talk to someone from Phoenix P.D. They are good people to get that type of information from. My online instructor (for more 3 days!) at GCU is a commissioner from Phoenix P.D.

Good luck on the next run.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always bring pepper spray and a cell phone - no matter when or where I run (even on the trails). It always helps me feel better, at least.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger carmen said...

Thanks, Firefly. One of the police officers did mention that we shouldn't have to go out of our way because of fear and just to go about our normal daily lives.

I think I will go out and buy some pepper spray like Angie. I'm so new to this...where do I even go to buy one?

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Carmen ... perhaps you should reconsider running in the morning. Most of the scum in this down pass out way before sun up. Also ... the good news in all this is perhaps your hubby will start working out with you rather than just follow you around on his bike. Now that would be great.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Dubs said...

Be careful -- and most importantly, be aware. It would not stop me from running, but I would not run at too fast of a pace, so that if I saw or heard something that concerned me, I'd be able to pick up the pace or detour to a different route. Make sure you know the areas you run well... not just your path, but what is off the side roads (like which ones get you to a main road & which ones put you at a dead end). Also keep an eye out for where phones and things are. Also, it it recommended that you don't yell "help" but that you scream "fire" if you get in trouble. People don't want to get involved in an issue, but they are always interested to see where a fire is.

Let your husband ride his bike with you - if he isn't a good talker, you could ask him to tell you about stuff on your run (while you are panting) and turn it into a neat time. :) Good luck - just be aware.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home