Saturday, July 08, 2006

way overdue


This is me in between "The Mittens". A few weeks ago there was a rumor circulating through email that one of the mittens had the "thumb" portion broken off by natural processes. The photos in the email looked photoshopped so I had to see for myself. I was later told by a friend who's stepdad owns a tour company that only a slab of rock fell off from the left mitten which created a larger gap in the mitten.


The spectacular Monument Valley. Yes, I do know that I'm a lucky broad because this is practically in my backyard! I was born in a small hospital less than 10 minutes away from this powerful and magnetic place. My heart will always be tied to the area.


Near the entrance of the road that leads to the MV Tribal Park, there stands a small line of makeshift plywood-type structures connected together. In each "shoppe", you will find either jewelery makers (turquoise being the biggie) or Navajo cuisine entrepreneurs who sell famous Navajo frybread, mutton stew w/hominy, mutton&green chili sandwiches, etc.




Here is a closer look at one individual stand. The Navajo Nation flag is draped on the left door. There are a couple of dreamcatchers hanging in the entrance but as far as I know, they do not have their origins in Navajo culture. I think dreamcatchers are important to Plains Indians, however. But hey, it's what the tourists want, right?




Inside the Gouldings family home/trading post (now a museum) was a section dedicated to the Navajo Code Talkers who were very important to the US military during World War II. Ironically, it was the Navajo language that helped the US win that war when simultaneously the US government that tried to wipe out native languages. (In boarding schools, children were punished for speaking their native languages.)




Another photo from inside the Goulding museum.



The Gouldings were early traders on the Navajo reservation therefore, the store was on the first floor. To my right, there is an old ledger of debts that were dated to the early 60's. It was really interesting to be in that part of the house. I felt like I was in a time warp.



Hubster took this photo. He thought it would be a good idea take this snapshot to show people what the real Monument Valley looks like with all of the tourist vehicles and busses in the way. hehe



I was very disturbed by this particular sight inside the gift shop at the Monument Valley Tribal Park. Well, I guess more like angry because these cheap looking cartoonish feather headresses were being sold by Indians and at a tribal park which further perpetuates the Indian stereotype that all Indian people wear headresses and live in tipis. (Notice the tipi figurines on the top shelf).

In Canyon de Chelly, I also noticed fake traditional Navajo baskets that were made in Pakistan that were selling for $10!! I'm going to do additional research about who does the merchandising for these curio shops and hopefully bring some attention to the ridiculousness of it all through an editorial of some sort for our tribal newspaper. Ugh, I'm still upset! hehe



**I am getting ready to head out to dinner so I'll post more photos later. These are just the teasers.**

8 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

The pictures are SPECTACULAR!! Wow!!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Dubs said...

BEAUTIFUL... I miss AZ!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Cool pictures Carmen. Thanks for sharing. I never get tired of looking pictures of Monument Valley. Did you take any in Canyon de Chelly?

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger carmen said...

Thanks y'all!

Phil, I'm posting the Canyon de Chelly pictures later. Maybe tomorrow morning so keep your eyes peeled!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Dubs said...

Did you add more pictures? I don't remember seeing this many last night - but I was really tired. They look good. If you write an article - would be great if you would put it in your blog too. Just know - not everyone is stupid enough to believe the stereotypes.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger carmen said...

Yes, I added a couple more. I will be adding more today.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger SRR said...

Beautiful pics!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

MV...nice pics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home