Saturday, July 01, 2006

5k race report (short version)

Well, 5k mission this morning was ACCOMPLISHED!

The other evening Hubster was asking me what my goal time for the race was. I told him, I don't know. I really didn't know what to expect because I didn't know how many hills there would be and what percent incline they would be at. So I estimated a 32:00-ish finish.

I kept telling myself that this 5k was a gauging run--a starting point. Basically, I was already trying to make up excuses in case I came in with a time over 31:00 which I find disappointing for myself.

Then I kept thinking about it and thinking about it. For most of my life, I failed to set my expectations high so that the disappointments wouldn't hurt as bad in the end. This usually made me feel even worse when I did something mediocre which was actually a little above average effort and I sit there regretfully with those thoughts of If only I tried harder! I could have ended up with a better time, grade, pace, etc, if I had tried hard all the way.

So I made up my mind to start doing my best in everything I do.

And it started this morning with the 5k. I tried to run that puppy hard all the way through and you know what? I surprised myself!

I came in with a sub 30:00 time.

My watch says 29:13 but I'm waiting for the results.
That's a 9:24 pace yo!

I have nothing to feel bad about. I tried my best and it paid off! So did all those incline workouts on the treadmill. The hills were where I actually passed a lot of people.

I'm awesome.

Update:
It turns out the official time is
29:12. :)
I really wish I wasn't committed to my no-alcohol pledge. Grrr. I could so go for a Sierra Nevada. Shucks!

14 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Phil said...

CONGRATULATIONS Carmen. This was one tough course. Breaking 30 minutes was tough and you DID it!

I saw a lot of folks walking long before they got to the top of the hill, so the heat and hills kicked the crap out of a lot of people this morning; but not you.

Phil

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger SRR said...

Good for you!!! Celebrate a little!

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

That's an awesome run, girlie! Congrads!!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Dubs said...

Fantastic!! You should be very proud.
Just started reading your posts -- fun to read about running in Phoenix... brings back a lot of great memories!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger carmen said...

AHE'HEE'!

Just means "Thank-you" in Navajo. :)

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger yasser said...

congrats! so are you setting your expectations higher from now on?

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Dubs said...

29:12 - sweet!

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

way to go!

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Congratulations, you're awesome!

Great job on the exam too!!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger ! said...

Yay!...that's awesome Carm. Keep it up!.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Deene said...

Well done!!

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great race!

 
At 1:42 AM, Blogger Liv said...

Congratulations on your race! You totally rocked it!!!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Uncle Rico said...

Wow...congrats! Soon we all might be trying to keep you with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home