Monday, December 11, 2006

the highway woman

I'm sorry for the sparseness or the sparcificity (I know they're not words, but hey, can't a girl be creative?) of my posts. In all honesty, I haven't run since the big PR finish at the half-marathon last Sunday. I am penciling in a 3 mile run this evening and there is going to be no way around it. I HAVE to run. I say that with excitement more than I do dread.

I've been on the road a lot for the past week. The driving exhaustion finally caught up with me last night. In fact, it's been taking it's toll every single night after the work day was over. As you may have noted in my last entry, I was in Santa Fe for three days. On Thursday, I took my recycling certification exam and left Santa Fe at about 1 pm. I drove around Albuquerque looking for a place to have lunch at and then went on my merry way back to Gallup. I was supposed to take the Yukon back to Window Rock and pick up my car but I was way too tired.

Isn't that disgusting?? That I'm an environmental recycling educator and I stress clean and green all day long yet when I travel I'm resigned to drive a huge gas guzzling vehicle. Ugh. It's like it negates my whole purpose.

Anyhow, I was at the office on Friday morning for only 2 hours and then had to leave for Soccorro, NM again. It's about an hour or less away from ABQ in the southernly direction. I had my first Board of Directors meeting with NMRC. It was kind of overwhelming because everyone had such vast knowledge of legislation and bill passing and all of that. And there I was...little, sweet, naive recent college grad. hehe It was cool though...the people involved are super nice and offered to help me with anything I needed help with.

That night I drove back to Gallup and the next morning I drove back home to Kayenta which is another 3 hour drive. I stayed the weekend since my sister's birthday was yesterday. I planned this surprise party for her. It was a tiny one with only my mom, my sister, my sister's boyfriend, me, and the baby present. We decorated with a Hawaiian tropical theme.

Best of all, we had the famous Navajo delicacy on the menu: mutton ribs.
Greasy but damn good.

Right after the party, I had to drive from Kayenta to Tempe which is nearly a 5 hour drive. I'm here for my 40-Hour hazwoper training at ASU East all this week.

I feel like I'm coming up with excuses to justify my absence from running and it's making me look bad. I really should be exercising more determination in keeping to my running schedule. Sometimes it's just really hard. However, the break stops tonight.

The theme for today is 3 miles or bust.
Happy Monday to ye all.

P.S. Since I have full, fast internet connection at home now...I'll be catching up with all of your blogs. If you've noticed, I haven't been commenting. I'm sorry about that...especially when I get such great support in return from all of you. Expect some words from me tonight. :)

7 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Phil said...

You've certainly been on the road a lot recently. You've got it a lot tougher than I do. I get on an airplane, check into a cushy hotel, get up really early for a run, work all day, head back to the airport and fly home. Not a single 3 hour drive to be found.

I like you plan. Get back into the swing of things with 3 or 4 miles a day while you're in the valley and then figure out what you need to do to sneak in a run in the mornings before anyone else is awake.

Good luck. Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday. The ARR 30K should be a fun race with great weather.

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling good. Was afraid you turned green from what you ate. haha!

Nothing wrong with a little break after your 1/2 marathon.. now you WANT to go run more, which is what it is all about! You'll have to put a lap on that track at Sun Angel stadium for me while your there. :)

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. We still need to work on the pre-race party. ;)

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the 3-miler... Yay your in town all week?????

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

^ oh yeh..that's me trish..I had a hard time logging in :)

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger carmen said...

hehe.

yep, i'm here until monday evening. i took leave on that day specifically to heal after my 30k. lol

so if you wanna do something...I'm here. call me up. or text me. i can finally tell you the whole spiel in person. lol

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Deene said...

i hope your run went well and that you are back on schedule. keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home