Sunday, December 03, 2006

My 2nd Half-Marathon

A GREAT DAY!

I ran the Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon this morning in Scottsdale and had two PRs!

10 miles = 1:42:something (7 minutes off from last year)
Half marathon = 2:14:49 (7:35 minutes off PF Chang's time in January!)

More details to come later on in the day because even the moment I woke up was interesting in it's self. I'm so freaking happy.
---
Last night, Hubster took me to eat some pasta at Mimi's Cafe in Mesa in preparation for the next day's half marathon. It was nearly 10:00 pm when we finally left and I was feeling anxious about how late it was. I should have been in bed already because the race was beginning at 7:30am the next morning. Before heading home, we made a quick dash to Target and then to a grocery store for my pre-race essentials: bananas, bagels, and Gatorade.

I was in the sack by 11:00 pm and planned on getting up at 6:00 am to get ready and allow time to get to Scottsdale from Tempe. I set my alarm on my cell phone and so did Hubster.

So faux pas #1 happened.

Both alarms did not sound off as they should have and I didn't awake until 7 am. I knew when the alarm on my running watch went off. It's set to go off at 7 am every morning. CRAP!! I looked at my phone and saw that the alarm went off so how the hell did I not hear it!! I scrambled outta bed and got ready as fast as I could. We were out the door by 7:15 and made it to the race site by 7:30.

Faux pas #2. Wrong Start.

I didn't know exactly where the starting line so there went any chance of racing on time! Oh well. After a few seconds we found the registration area which was freaking .3 miles away from the starting line. How inconvenient! I didn't know that at first because there was a START sign nearby so I assumed it was the start. Nobody was there. Just then the announcer came on the speakers and announced the half-marathon runners were 3 minutes in to the race. CRAP!!!

So I ask the lady at the registration if they had any timing chips and they said no. I had to use my watch. I said Thanks and went on my way to the start sign, started my watch from there and ran across the street (Indian School Rd.).

I looked ahead and noticed a festive colored balloon arch and a crowd of people just before it. It was the 5k crowd and they were getting ready to start. They started when I arrived near the starting line. At least that was convenient. It took three minutes to get to that point so I noted the extra minutes and just kept running.

There was an official on the course and I asked him which way the half-marathon runners. He redirected me and I was off. Last runner to start...as usual. IS this my trademark as a runner?? lol

Mile 1: 10:28

Faux pas #3. Gurgling Stomach = Trouble

I don't know what it was. The bananas. The dinner from the night before. Something did a number on my stomach. It was bloated and gurgling for the first 2 miles until I found a port-a-john near the water people. Thankfully no one was inside. I guess that was one Pro of starting off really late. hehe I think that was the fastest time I ever spent in a restroom so can I count that as another PR? lol

Mile 2: 11:41 (I forgot to press my split button on my watch at 3 miles)

Mile 3: 8:57
From there, all seemed well. I took my first GU gel at mile 4 and life was gooood. I was more chipper than usual and smiled at everything from the branches of trees gently swaying in the wind, a bird on a lightpost, and the clouds gliding in the sky.

Mile 4: 10:20
Mile 5: 10:33--I don't really remember anything at this point but I remember thinking that it sure was going by fast.

Mile 6: 10:33 -- I'm almost halfway there and the great thing is that I don't feel as tired as I usually am. Good thing I chowed that pasta last night! This the mile I start catching up to the runners. Finally! The thing that irked me was the girls/ladies who were traveling in 3-paks and hogging up the road. What the hell happened to courtesy! Oh well...at least I passed them.

Mile 7: 10:13 -- I was running in the more elite parts of Scottsdale and where Hubster's office building is at. I sure wish he was somewhere nearby alongside the course to cheer me on. Ah well, I'm still feeling good at this point. Passing more people and remember thinking about how thankful I am to be a runner. I love you legs!

Mile 8: 10:01 -- I take part of my 2nd GU gel only because there is no water stand nearby and I need something to wash down the gel. I start to finally feel a tinge of fatigue...but not enough to offset my stride. I begin to think about the IronGirl 10-miler the other day. If I was running it, I would only have 2 more miles to go...and wow, I'm making great time!

I say a small prayer to Nihima Nahasdzaan Diyin and Yadilhil Diyin and ask for strength and power to keep chugging at my pace. I thank them for helping me get as far as I have gotten in my running and in my life. I remember thinking..."life is good."

Mile 9: 9:59 -- Finally, a water stand! Now I can take the rest of my gel. Only 4 more miles. I can start to feel my left arch chafing. Damn, the only thing I forgot was to affix a band-aid there. In a couple more miles...Hello Blisters!! I'm still feeling great.

Mile 10: 9:55 -- My time is 1:42:44 for the 10-Miler. I so would have kicked ass at the IronGirl the other day. However, I remember how boring the course was and patted myself on the back for deciding to run the Fiesta Bowl Half this year instead of the IG. Oh boy, now I can feel those blisters. Another thing I forget to wear is my cap and I can feel the sun beating down on my face. Damn...I never run without my cap!!

Mile 11: 10:03 -- Only 2.1 miles to go and I'm making great time. I just may make my first goal of finishing at 2:15! Just keep chugging along, Carmen. Geez, those chafing on my arches is beginning to burn more. Must put the pain out of my mind. Mind over matter!

I can definitely feel the fatigue really set in and I don't have anymore GU gel left. I remember passing a water stand. One of the guys yelling "Gatorade!" I immediately head in his direction because I need some electrolytes stat! As I'm passing him, I hear him say, "It's diluted!" DILUTED??! What the crap! I need it full-strength...my muscles are screaming here! Oh, well.

Mile 12: 10:15 -- Only a mile and .1 to go. I am soooo going to have bleeding arches...or at least it feels like it. My legs are screaming at me to take a walking break but I look at my watch and if I keep my 10 min pace, I just may make it under 2:15:00. Sorry legs, we have to keep chugging along.

I remember passing a small park halfway into the final mile. I can feel myself slowing down and the fatigue is really setting in. Just then, I feel a sudden burst of wind go past and take this as a sign that the Holy People or spirits giving me a sign that they heard my prayer miles back. "They're supporting me and cheering me on!" I think. I pick up the pace but gosh...my feet are screaming bloody murder!

Mile 13.1 FINISH! 11:46 I swear...that was the longest mile ever. As I try my hardest to sprint to the finish line...I feel a cramp in my right calf and have to slow down. I see Hubster by the finish line with his camera and I smile big and bright because dammit...I am under 2:15:00! I surpassed my goal by a quarter of a minute!!!!!!!!

I freaking rock, yo!

2:14:49

Take that gurgling stomach! Take that late start! Take that crappy alarm clock! I still made my goal. With my finish, I took off 7.5 minutes from my half marathon finish back in January! My feet and arches are burning but it's not enough to overcome how proud I am in my achievement. I seriously rock.

Next race: Arizona Road Racers Desert Classic 30k (that's 18.6 miles) -- DEC. 17.
I have about a month and a half left until the marathon. I was doubting it but I think this finish has encouraged me to keep going.

I want to run for a cause or a native organization and raise money for them but I don't know who/what to run for. Navajo kids? Navajo women battling breat cancer? Help.

15 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Awesome job! I look forward to reading the race report once you come down from "cloud 9". :)

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

way to go!!! That is freaking awesome!

That elevation training is doing wonders for you!

I didn't see you out there today- I did the 5k but hung out to the end of the half. I did see one of my ASU students though!

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

nice report! We both rocked it today.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

what about this one

http://www.nrcprograms.org/program_aief.htm

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmen, WAY TO GO! AMAZING! I love how much time you cut off! Yeehaw!

I saw some information once on an organization that gets American Indian kids running but I can't for the life of me remember what it was -- I will google all around for you and see what I turn up if you don't know it.
(This was after my research on Sports of the Americas and I got really into wondering why the US, as a nation, doesn't invest in American Indian runners with the long heritage and, well, as you can guess, the US just doesn't)

Rest up, girl! You've got more races to come.

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrads!! You really rock. You will do very well at the marathon in less than 42 days.....YIKES! Way to go!

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Congratulations on another PR Carmen. You tore up the course. I just can't imagine starting dead last, but that didn't seem to slow you down at all.

The 30K later this month will be a great training run for you. After an excellent performance today, it would appear that you're ready for the 30K. It think this your first 30K, so you'll have two PRs in December. (of course you'll need to get out bed a bit earlier than 15 minutes before the race to make it to the start line in Suprise :)

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger Jack said...

Hey congratulations, you rock!

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CARM...YOU DID IT...awsome girl women!! I'm so excited for you..

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Deene said...

run for the battle against diabetes, it's an epidemic in Native country.

Good job!! - you're right on target for the marathon.

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carmen, you seriously do ROCK!! That is just amazing after a rough start!

-Bella

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the half marathon! You can definitely run a sub 5 hour marathon.
I did it - barely - and I even gave up at mile 16 because the conditions in Chicago sucked!
I hated my race but was happy about the sub 5!
Keep up the great training.

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great race report! My very first 10K was at the Fiesta Bowl, back in the 80's. Very fond memories.

congratulations on your PRs!! Love the mile times - looks like you picked it up and ran a bunch of sub-10's! Fantastic! Gald you were able to get your mind in it with all your chaos before hand. You are quite the runner!

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh - for blisters... I used to get them a lot - I rub a thin coat of vasaline on my feet before I put on my socks. Always does the trick and also makes for nice soft feet! :)

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Race summary...You did a great job!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home