Tuesday, January 09, 2007

the makings of a bridezilla

Today we had another 8 hours off from work because our Navajo Nation president declared "Administrative Leave" for all branches. Today is Inauguration Day of our President, his Vice-President, new Council Delegates, and other elected officials.

I chose not to attend because I don't agree nor am I happy with the amount of money they've put into the festivities. People are always complaining that there is never enough money in our budgets to put forth to services for our people and yet it's extravaganzas like this that suck up all that money. I despise politics.

I still have work to do but I'm doing it at home to save me the hour-long roundtrip from my home to my office.

Save the Date: This morning, I went to a party store to take a gander at their wedding invitation sample books. I was searching for some Save-the-Date cards to send out. They didn't have much of a selection so I finally decided that it would be best if Brandon and I just made our own on the computer. He's a talented graphic designer anyhow.

We shall send them out at the end of the month.

Who to Invite? I was thinking this morning in the shower about which of my friends I would invite. We're trying to keep the wedding a relatively small affair. Brandon and I agreed that we would only invite ten of our closest friends and 5-7 of the friends that we actually have in common together.

I've gone over the 10-mark by 5 people and it's so difficult to axe who the 5 would be. At least, I know there are definitely 5 people I want there and they're all my best friends.

Photographer: We agreed that our close friend would take our photos for us. He's a talented photographer. His website is here. Brandon and I have until May or even late April to shape up because that's when we're going to take some photos for the wedding invitations. hehe

I think for the rest of the day, I'll be emailing my friends for their mailing addresses. Ugh. I've put off this planning for so long that now it's finally catching up with me!!! I hope I don't become a bridezilla. lol

BTW, we're having a Navajo Traditional Wedding. I found this painting of a Navajo bride, groom, and medicine man on the web. It'll kind of give you an idea of how our wedding will be like. If you're interested, here is a good read on an article written by a Navajo medicine man on how the wedding used to be like in the past and how it's been altered a bit in modern times.
Read here.

IMAGE REMOVED.

Workout:
Tonight I'm headed to the gym for more elliptical time and some leg workouts.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger MNFirefly said...

Relax, Carmen. Do not worry about the details. You will be just fine. Use the running to take the stress off.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Phil said...

You'll be a perfect bride, I'm sure of it. A traditional Navajo wedding will be very meaningful, instead of the over hyped affairs so many of us opt for. Keep us posted on the wedding .. sounds great.

Great work on the elliptical machine. That machine will do a lot to keep you in shape while you are recovering. I think you need to see an orthopedic doctor that specializes in sports medicine. Of course that is easy for me to say, but generalists might not understand the issues.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Deene said...

so cute! how many horses and cows for our Carm?

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Dubs said...

Can't wait to see pictures from the wedding! How exciting. Also very neat to have such a small wedding. I had to push my parents to cut down their guest list to only their really good friends. Ended up at 90 w/friends & family. I planned that in 2 months and didn't become Bridzilla. Just remember WHY you are planning the event and how exciting it is and don't worry. If you have to change things (for example, have 12 instead of 10, etc.) don't sweat it. Also - don't expect everything to be perfect - expect a screw up. Then when it happens, you can roll with it because you expected it. :)

Love the picture - keep us posted on your traditions as you plan for them - so exciting to learn about different traditions! You will be a beautiful bride!!!!

 
At 5:56 AM, Blogger Renee said...

I am so excited to hear about your plans! I doubt you will be bridezilla, but if you need inspiration, I had a great experience with couplezilla last year!
And, sorry, tag! You're it!

 
At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still don't wanna log in..I promise next time I won't be anonymous..Promise..Oh the wedding details..super exciting!!!! :) It's going to be fantastic..your going to look stunning and everything will go so smooth....:) Have fun planning it..I think it sounds like a fabulous time....

Oh yay to getting to the gym..I've gotta update my lil blog thingy too. well for running..I've doing pretty good...sort of ...

Miss ya Carmen :)

Trish

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger LeahC said...

have fun planning the wedding! the traditial Navajo sounds way awesome, i love that you keep up with those traditions. save the date cards...I didn't do them...but I heard a cute idea where a couple when into one of those photo booths, where you get the strip of 4 pictures. in the first one they had a sign that said "save"...the second.."the"...third "date" fourth "the actual date"...plus you get to include funny/cute pictures of the two of you....

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like leahc's idea too...but do what's in your heart. I'm sure it'll all turn out fine, it always does.

...so is Brandon going to ride in on a horse? :)

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger J~Mom said...

Your wedding sounds like it will be so beautiful! The traditions and symbols are so neat. I can't wait to hear more about it!

Great job on working out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home