Monday, July 24, 2006

playing catch up

First of all, hats off to Phil for setting a new 5k PR this weekend when all most of us Arizonans could do was scoff at the temperatures let alone run in it. ;)

I am struggling to keep up with my training schedule. I had an important exam that threw me off schedule since Wednesday and I've been scattering about trying to get back into gear. So for a short synopsis:

Wed. July 19 & Thurs. July 20 = did not run

Fri. the 21st
I had planned for a 30 min easy run with Trish at a park but the weather decided to turn on us and eventually, it was the lightening that scared me away. Luckily, she had some guest passes to a local gym so I did a brief 15 min run and some weight training before closing time.

Sat. the 22nd
Trish and I planned the night before to do an early morning hike at one of the "mountains" in Phoenix. If I had hurried with getting ready, we might have had time to drive all the way to Piestewa Peak but the sun was ascending fast so we decided on hiking South Mountain.

It was really fun! I don't know how many rabbits we saw as well as lizards. I was also fascinated by the ants there as well. (For those of you who don't know, I once worked in a research lab on campus that used ants as research organisms.) Before this weekend, I had never met T in person and we had such a wonderful time that I had no regrets in meeting at all. In fact, we had so many commonalities intact. I was telling her that it's a shame now that I've finally met someone to do outdoorsy things with, I'm leaving for the rez in 3 weeks. Boo-hoo. :( I suppose we'll resume our activities when I return.

We spent at least an hour and a half out hiking around.

That evening I tried to run outdoors on my usual route but it was stinkin' HOT! It was 9:30 pm when I took off and I couldn't manage to do more than 2 continuous miles. Hubster reminded me of the story in the current RW issue about the young kid who had overheated and died from an intense training run in the heat so I relented to walking the last mile. By the last half mile, I was slowly trudging along and was definitely feeling overheated. My arms were so slick with sweat and moisture that I knew I wasn't cooling properly.

Miraculously, I made it home.

Sun. the 23rd
I was tired the whole day. I accompanied Hubster to his posh office building so he could catch up on some work while I studied for my class. Studying always makes me tired. :(

That evening, I was still sluggish but headed to the gym for 6 miles on the treaddie. That wasn't to be realized because my stomach was still full from dinner and I felt like I was going to give birth to alien babies at any second so I only ran a little over 2 miles and ended with 25 minutes on the upright and recumbent bikes.

Hopefully today, I can get in that long run.
Better late than never.

BTW, I decided no more outdoor runs for me unless the temps are in the mid 90's. :(

6 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger ! said...

Yay for the fun hike this week'd. I had a blast this week'd. Can't wait to get together again. :) By the wasy..Can I use your name in my blog? I wasn't sure if that was okay...ahaha so I refrained from it.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Phil said...

Carnem ... thanks for the mention on your blog. I appreciate it.

I don't blame you for running inside until the weather cools down a bit; you can still get a good workout and be all refreshed when temperatures drop down below 95 or so. I know I've suggested running in the morning before and I'll probably suggest it again, but it is a whole lot cooler just before sun rise than at 9:00 PM; especially in the heat island that we find ourselves "living" in.

Best of luck getting ready for your race in San Diego.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger carmen said...

Trish--I completely forgot to ask you if I could use your name in this entry. Sorry! If you want I can replace it with an initial but I doubt that anyone within "that arena" visits here. (You know what I'm talking about.) For now, I suppose you could refer to my initial(s). We must definitely do Piestewa Peak. This time, we'll leave at 4 am!!! haha Maybe this weekend?

Phil:No problemo on the mention. You deserve it! How cool do you suppose it is early in the morning...like around 4:00-4:30 am? I believe that is the only time I will run until temps drop. Thanks for the pep...I'm excited for San Diego. :)

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Dubs said...

Carmen,

Loved the catch-up. Piestewa Peak - I am never going to remember that!! I will try tho. Are they renaming 51 too? Would be odd to have Squaw Peak Parkway when they changed the name of the mountain - and now to know it isn't a favorable name to a woman.

I agree with Phil - when I lived in Phx, it was always so much cooler in the morning. In college we had to run both morning and afternoons 3 days a week (the others were just mornings and weights in the afternoons on 2 of them). We always put in the longer miles in the morning because of the heat. Takes longer for the heat to leave from the cement/asphalt. Now, when you are at the reservation, it shouldn't matter because you won't have the number of buildings & asphalt/cement holding the heat in and it should really cool off. Out by Luke AFB it would cool off, but now all the fields are gone out there too. :(

Glad you found a good running buddy! And how cool - through your blog!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Ann Ewbank said...

Carmen-

Since I swtiched to mornings I have been much more comfortable! I don't get up at insane o'clock like Phil :). I get up at 6:15-6:30 and am out the door by about 7:00. It's really not that bad out, even at that late hour.

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger ! said...

Carmen I'm ready for another mountain!..:) This week'd sounds great!.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home